I’m not really much of a sweet tooth. My husband on the other hand, well, he’s probably got his nose in the dark chocolate block right now. That said, I do enjoy a little slice of something sweet from time-to-time (especially at that time of the month).
So, in an effort to make something healthy, but sweet and packed with flavour, I embarked on creating these moorish treats. Time out of day: 15 minutes. Not bad!
Here’s what you’ll need:
1/2 x cup of almonds soaked overnight
1/2 x cup of Brazil nuts soaked with their mate, Almond
2 x cups of pitted dates soaked for 2 hours
1/2 x cup water or coconut water
2 x cups of coconut flesh
1 x handful of sesame seeds
1 x handful of any other seeds you have lying around (optional)
And here’s what you need to do…
1. Place almonds, Brazil nuts and half the dates in a blender or food processor and whiz.
2. Add coconut flesh and blend a little more.
3. Place mixture into a slice tin or plastic container and push down so it’s firmly packed.
4. Blend remaining dates with water or coconut water so that they form a liquidy icing and place on top of nut mixture.
5. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and random other seeds, and place in fridge for a few hours to firm up.
6. Enjoy with a cup of Rooibos tea (made with soy milk and a dash of honey).
Here’s a visual of mine still in its container ‘firming up’…