As much as I’d love to indulge my passion for cooking mid-week, the reality is that I simply don’t have the time. Or the ‘be-bothereds’. So, when I took a peek inside our fridge/panty last night for dinner inspiration, I came up with this rather delicious concoction – Mexican Brown Rice with Delectable Add Ons.
The backstory is that we already had the brown rice cooked in the fridge and I had an insatiable hankering for Mexican flavours. Admittedly the rice was already cooked with seaweed but that wasn’t going to deter me from my ‘ready in 20 minutes’ masterpiece. When I cook it again, I’ll do it without the seaweed but it still tasted pretty damn good.
Here’s the visual…
Here’s what you’ll need for 2 hungry hippos…
1 x cup of cooked brown rice (or quinoa or millet)
1 x brown onion, chopped finely
5 x flat mushrooms, chopped finely
2 x garlic cloves, chopped finely
3 x tomatoes, chopped finely (or one can of LOW SALT tomatoes)
1 x large handful of coriander, chopped finely
1 x bunch of English Spinach
1 x can of kidney beans (or 1/2 cup of pre-cooked)
3 x teaspoons each of dried coriander, cumin, oregano and paprika
1 x teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1 x fresh lemon (or lime depending on the season)
1 x avocado
2 x organic eggs, hard boiled
And here’s what you need to do…
1. Throw your onions and garlic into the pan. Let sweat off and then add the mushrooms. Leave to cook for a few minutes.
2. Now, add the tomatoes and stir. After a minute or so, add the spices.
3. Next, add in your cooked rice and turn the heat down so that the rice soaks up that tomato and spice flavour.
4. Once the rice is warmed through and soaking up the tomato, add your beans and put spinach leaves on top to start wilting down. You can also add the coriander. Squeeze in your lemon and season with salt and pepper accordingly.
5. Serve your Mexican rice with more chopped coriander on top, the boiled egg cut in half and your avocado sitting on top. I added a little more lemon juice for fun. Enjoy!
Tell me Happies…
What do you think of this simple mid-week meal?