It’s a rare day when I’m not adding some Himalayan Salt to something in my kitchen. Mainly dinner, but also ice creams, homemade dips, and even, when I’m feeling dangerously frisky, lunch as well. It is, after all, one of life’s most vital ingredients.
Known for its ability to stimulate circulation, lower blood pressure and remove toxins such as heavy metals from the body, Himalayan Pink Salt has been used for eons to help heal the body, and even the mind. Gosh, it makes the old table salt look a little bit shit, doesn’t it? Note: It is.
Containing a whopping 84 trace elements, including the big guys like iron, magnesium, potassium, zinc, calcium and more, this ingredient is worth its weight in hand-picked blueberries.
But there’s more to Himalayan Salt than just ingesting it, although I highly recommend that too.
Here are some examples…
1. Use it for serving food: OK, this is one of the more outlandish ways to benefit from this wondrous product but I’ve tracked down a company that uses slabs of Himalayan Salt to craft platters, bowls, and even chopping blocks. The moisture in the food picks up salt just by sitting on it, so it doesn’t just look fancy, it also adds health benefits too. Too much, or totally awesome?
2. Use it to for energy. Before researching salt lamps for this article I used to look at them with confusion. I mean, I know people swear by them but I’d be more inclined to hide mine in the cupboard in fear of scaring off my friends. Let’s be honest, they’re not the prettiest things.
HOWEVER! And I say that with conviction, they are actually pretty amazing things, Happies.
This may sound like a contradiction, but you need negative ions in your body to make you happy and energised. Studies have shown that salt lamps increase your negative ions by up to 300% – clearly having an effect on the above factors. Amazing!
- Himalayan Rock Salt Lamps remove odours from the air naturally. Yesss! No more Glen 20. Mum, read this, we don’t call you Chemical Ali for nothing (she is obsessed with air fresheners; it’s frightening).
- Televisions, radios, computers, microwaves, transmitters all produce positive ions. Placing a Rock Salt Lamp nearby produces the negative ions required for happiness and improved energy. Don’t be too proud to take one into work.
- Working under bright artificial light can make you feel tired, however, the negative ions created by your lamp balance this energy and make you rejuvenated, jumping with joy, and maybe even bouncing out of your skin.
- Getting a little stiff around the edges? Stressed? Well, Himalayan Rock Salt Lamps are also beneficial for people affected by arthritis, asthma, stress, insomnia, aches, fatigue, tiredness, migraines, headaches, hormonal imbalance, attention deficit disorder and poor concentration. Um, that’s 99% of the population. On second thoughts, maybe they aren’t that ugly.
3. Eat it, of course. And finally, the most obvious use for Himalayan Salt is to eat it. Add it to anything in place of table salt, and it will not only enhance the flavour of your food but nourish your body with essential vitamins and minerals. I like to add mine on at the end of cooking, so that’s it doesn’t get ‘cooked’ and all the minerals and vitamins stay in tact.